This week we look at Wilderness EMS Pharmacology. Nancy Pietroski is our guest this evening for the podcast along with Dr. Seth Hawkins rejoining us for this special featured segment from the Wilderness EMS Textbook. Nancy was the primary author for the textbook’s chapter on Wilderness EMS pharmacology.
The Wilderness EMS textbook is designed for EMS providers and leaders who deliver medical care in the wilderness, and those practicing wilderness medicine as part of a formal team. The textbook is a comprehensive, expertly-written reference ideal for this fast-changing and multidisciplinary specialty.
In this episode we will look at:
- Routes of administration of drugs in an EMS setting
- Administration of drugs in a wilderness environment (The Rights; how they differ in wild)
- Principles of medication use in a wilderness environment
- Drug information resources for wilderness medicine
- Environmental conditions and effect on medication use
- Environmental conditions and effect on stability of drugs
- Expiration dates of drugs and considerations in a wilderness environment
- Donating drugs for medical missions
- Medical kits – general factors to consider for a wilderness environment
- Drugs used in a wilderness environment—discuss certain medical conditions and preferred routes
Disaster Never Sleeps, Neither Do We
We will be bringing you more special updates from our Disaster Podcast team members as we get them in from around the world.
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
Paragon Brings “The Experience”
Paragon Medical Education Group specializes in bringing what they call “The Experience” to jurisdictions around the country. They bring together police, fire, EMS, and hospital teams to train together and learn what to expect from each diverse group in the response team so that each knows what to expect from the other and how to back the other groups up. Visit Paragon’s site at ParagonMedicalGroup.com for more information on how this can be brought into your system.