We touch base again with Dr. Joe Holley for our sixth bonus update on the COVID-19 outbreak. Watch for more of these updates a one or two times a week on top of our normal episode rotation as Joe has more information to share with us.
Here are the key points Joe covered on this brief call:
General COVID-19 Presentation and Care:
- Respiratory illness most common, however,
- Early illness differs from typical ARDS
- Ventilator settings vary widely across disease process
- Mutiple body systems impacted possibly related to angiotensin II sites
- Lower GI tract
- Stroke, Sudden Cardiac Arrest, Pulmonary Edema related to micro-clotting and micro-angiopathic damage (capillary injury)
- Use PPE for ALL patients due to wide pattern of COVID presentation
More Updates Soon
Stay tuned for more updates periodically in the coming weeks as Joe reaches out amidst his duties and busy schedule to share his viewpoint on the response with us as he is able.
Join the Discussion
Join the discussion after the show with co-hosts Sam Bradley and Jamie Davis, the Podmedic in our Disaster Podcast Facebook Group now!
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
Paragon Brings “The Experience”
Paragon Medical Education Group specializes in bringing what they call “The Experience” to jurisdictions around the country. They bring together police, fire, EMS, and hospital teams to train together and learn what to expect from each diverse group in the response team so that each knows what to expect from the other and how to back the other groups up. Visit Paragon’s site at ParagonMedicalGroup.com for more information on how this can be brought into your system.