This week on the Disaster Podcast host Sam Bradley and I had paramedic and emergency planner for Memphis Fire Department Jim Logan on the show to talk about Sam’s experience with the Urban Shield program that is run in her county to train people for tactical emergencies. It is a comprehensive full-scale regional preparedness exercise that assesses the overall Bay Area UASI Region’s response capabilities related to multi-discipline planning, policies, procedures, organization, equipment and training.
The Urban Shield Program:
- Provides a platform for national and international first responders, as well as the private sector, to work efficiently and effectively together when critical incidents occur.
- Expands regional collaboration including local businesses and critical infrastructure.
- Tests regional integrated systems for prevention, protection, response and recovery in our high-threat, high-density urban area.
- Evaluates our existing level of preparedness and capabilities
- The previous years’ After Action Reports are referenced and used to assist in prioritizing needs
- Enhances the skills and abilities of regional first responders, as well as those responsible for coordinating and managing large scale events.
Got a question for the Disaster Podcast Team? Why don’t you leave a comment below here on the site and we’ll get right back to you both in the comments area and by email, too! We look forward to hearing from you.
Again, a special thank-you to Paragon Medical Education Group for their continued support of this podcast as our partners in this endeavor to bring disaster medicine to you. Check out their page and educational resources that can help your system be more prepared for what happens in your area.